July 14, 2012

Shopping & Buying Smart

THE ONLINE PHENOMENON
Online shopping for me is definitely an addiction, but it’s also my way of filling my creative void. Sitting in my office, enjoying a glass of wine relishing at all my fav sites. It’s a personal experience, one I like to call “Unplugging.” With the ease and comfort of being at home, I can take inventory in my closet of what I really want and need, survey my home for that perfect piece that’s missing, and I don’t have the pressure from being inside a store to decide. If I need time to think about it, I can come back to my pc later…..after enjoying that glass of wine. However, I am not just an online shopper, I’m just a shopper period!

DEALS , DISCOUNTS, & WHEN TO BUY!
There are a host of online boutiques that offer free shipping, free returns and are tax-free. When I’m shopping online, I generally stick to a particular label that I’ve worn before and I know is a home run with sizing. There are also a lot of deals that are offered for first time shoppers. Some offer a 10-20% disc if you "like" them on Facebook, and others may too if you ask the question.

One of the best times to make a purchase is at the end of a season. Now that we’re entering a new season, Fall, there are a multitude of summer sales going on! The funny thing is, unless you’re a fashion designer, seasons really are much longer than the actual trend reports say. I really won’t be wearing “Fall Season” until late October early November when it’s actually cold enough, so I’ll be sticking mostly with Summer though October with some transitional Fall pieces. I’m of the opinion that there are only two seasons that really matter when it comes to wardrobe. Spring/Summer and Fall. For both I tend to buy pieces that are quintessential, classic, and not over-the-top kitschy. For instance, maxi dresses were completely en trend for Spring/Summer, and for Fall, they're still fantastic with jackets or sweaters.

For Fall, major trends that are everywhere are tweed, demure blouses, jewel tones, printed denim, colored corduroys, pointy-toe shoes, particularly those with a cap, and lots of embellishments on adorning clothing! 
BUYING LOCAL
I usually don’t spend a lot of my time department store shopping,but I have to say I love outlet mall shopping! There you'll find some of the best deals and the pieces can be worn through various seasons!

When I'm store shopping, there is nothing more frustrating to me than to walk in to a department store or boutique that is cluttered, or congested with inventory! Too much visual merchandise=SENSORY OVERLOAD! I gravitate toward clean and simple. When I walk into a store/boutique, I like to be able to take it all in at once and assess right where I want to go. Plus, I’d rather help contribute to keeping local dollars in the economy and building a bigger tax base. Smaller scale boutiques also have such a warm, personable, just like being at home feel too. The sales staff is always very friendly and accomodating and they are appreciative of having you in their store knowing that you could be shopping with the "Big-boxes."


My ideal store is organized and easy to navigate around. Clean and simple is key. I'm likely
to buy more when I have a panoramic view of in store items. 

LOVE WHAT YOU BUY & BUY WHAT YOU LOVE
I want to love what I buy for more than just a season especially if it’s an investment. Therefore, I love to buy smart. Yes, I do like to splurge on designer labels, but when I do I generally make sure I BUY WHAT I LOVE AND LOVE WHAT I BUY! I try to aim for buying things that are transferable and can work for longer seasons.
Being fashionable holds more merit than being trendy. You can keep up with the trends but know your limits and what looks balanced and appropriate. When I’m shopping, I strive for iconic pieces that I know I’ll wear from season to season. For instance, if it’s floral that’s really hot like it was this season, make sure that it’s not matronly floral. An all over floral print dress will definitely do that! Instead, opt for more understated like a charming floral print blouse, or subtle floral denim shorts or jeans that you’ll be sure to wear during the transition of seasons.

ABC'S Of Style
Keeping things age-appropriate for me is huge; "Polished youthfulness" is sorta my motto, and that applies to any age. When I'm styling, I stick with my own three ABC's or rules. Accesories are always a huge element of any look. Layer on a few strands of different necklaces or bracelets- mixing metals, lengths, and embellishments. Balance, simply put means just that. Wearing things that compliment one another not competing against. You don't have to be uniform to look balanced. Mixing patterns, prints, and textures still looks balanced if you don't overdo it. If you feel like you have too much going on, then you probably do. Color means not being too "matchy matchy" or monochromatic. Throw in some color and make the rest of your look stand out!
A ccessories
B alance
C olor







 



 




 
















































No comments: